IBioIC’s role, as a specialist in the Industrial Biotechnology (IB) sector, is to stimulate the growth of the sector in Scotland to £900mn by 2025.
We connect industry, academia and government; facilitate collaborations; provide scale-up capabilities; create networks; clarify the innovation landscape for businesses of all sizes; and develop the skills our sector needs.
Our areas of interest
The global industrial biotechnology market is estimated to be worth £365bn. Scotland has key strengths for developing its IB sector including:
• natural resources providing unique feedstocks
• strong Industrial leadership groups establishing IB in Scotland
• academic excellence - 17 HEIs active in IB
• industrial competitiveness - a diverse company base from SMEs to multinationals
• international competitiveness attracting inward investment in Scotland
These combined strengths make IB a priority sector for Scottish government. Against this backdrop, our strategic areas of focus are:
• industry/academia collaboration
• de-risking scale-up
• developing competitive opportunities
• providing a skilled workforce.